Thursday, August 15, 2013

No More Paci

So as it turned out, we talked to him last night. We told him that in two more days paci was going to be gone gone. Thankfully, he doesn't understand "two more days." He understands "gone gone." This morning I picked up his paci and told him that his paci was about to be gone gone:

"Soon your paci is going to be gone gone. You don't need it anymore. You're a big boy."

Of course he didn't understand. Usually after lunch he is sooo excited about nap time because it means "ba ba" (paci). True to the norm, he ran in his room after he finished his PB&J squealing "ba ba."

I didn't have the heart to give it to him as if nothing was up. I knew that goodbyes were lurking around the corner, so I ended it. I picked him up. I picked up his paci and carried both of them into the kitchen.

"You know Joshua, you don't need ba ba anymore because you're such a big boy. Mommy loves you soooo much. Yay! You're going to take a nap like a big boy. Paci is gone gone."

Then I carried him into his room, went through our nap routine (as he whined), and said the little poem "Here's my little Joshua. Put Joshua to bed. Cover him with blankets, and kiss his little head. Good night, Joshua."

He screamed for 10 minutes, while I cried in the kitchen. Then it stopped. No more crying. He went to sleep! He took a great nap. He sat in my lap while he woke up and pointed to the kitchen (the paci's were in Nathan's office at that point). I have a feeling he was pointing towards where he thought the paci's were.

This evening he was his chipper self during our bedtime routine, but he did ask for his paci. Nathan gave him a little present and told him, "Now paci is gone gone. We got you this present to celebrate that you don't need a paci anymore."

He liked the present ;)

Then he made several trips to his bed to see if his paci was in there (which he's done since he could walk). We acted like we didn't notice. We put him to bed. No tears!!!!!

Praise the LORD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment