Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thank You

If the path to a grateful heart is stopping to say thank you, then I have more than a few to list.

1. Thank You Lord for this weather.

Everybody has their ideal for winter weather. Mine...is exactly what we've experienced for the past week: rainy and warm.

Ever since Nathan and I ventured to living in his element (waaaayyyy out in the country...which I might add is becoming my element as well), I have learned to appreciate rain. We have a well. We rely on it to sustain us. We have to have rain to keep the well wet. (It's a drilled well about 300 ft. deep...so we're not in danger of running out...but it does make me think, stop, and thank God for rain.) We all in fact are desperate for water to survive. Our well just brings the need to my attention...and for that I am grateful.

In the Bible, rain is a sign of God's mercy. In the Hebrew world, a rainy day was a beautiful day. Rain brings forth life. Drought in the Old Testament was part of God's discipline. Severe drought meant AND MEANS dehydration and starvation--death. In Jeremiah 14, Judah cried out to the LORD for His mercy (for Him to send rain)...God was disciplining them for their idolatry and decietful living.

So, I'm loving the sound of the rain hitting our metal chimney, falling on our pasture, and filling the creeks. Please let the rain continue Lord.

AND...I enjoying this warm weather--for one reason--our power bill will be cheaper. We are still saving for our China adoption. We budget a certain amount for electricity each month, but if the bill is less, then the difference goes into savings. Thank You Lord that the heater has not kicked on for days!

2. Thank You Lord for the Women's group I will join this semester.

Last week I posted that I badly want to find a group of women who love God's Word and want to study it together. I joined a group women that begin next week for a class called Restoring Your Heart. The class is actually for men and women. Nathan is taking the class as well but at a different time and with a group of men. It's not a Bible study exactly. It's a study of our emotions and the Biblical response to those emotions. I think a sweet friend of mine and I will be able to ride together which would add to the joy of involving myself in a women's group.

I also learned about a women's Bible study offered not too terribly far from home called Bible Study Fellowship. Two ladies at our church mentioned it to me Sunday. I've known lots of women who joined these groups through the years and have always wanted to be a part but could never work it out in my schedule. I'm praying about joining the group next Fall. The ladies sharing with me told how BSF cares for children as well. BSF meets in the morning. They don't just provide childcare. The children learn the same Bible lesson as mom. They study systematically through books of the Bible. I'm kind of doubting that I'll be leaving my two month old in childcare...I would plan to carry Baby in with me until he/she is a little older. It sounds as though the women would welcome that.

SO...I'm grateful for learning about opportunities to grow with others.

3. Thanks Thompsons and McCarthas for our cameras!!!

I haven't pulled out my cameras much since we've returned from visiting family over the holidays. For some reason I have a heirarchy of how I want to spend my time over the next 5 1/2 months. Work then play. I feel an unexplainable need to organize my house in depth. I want the house clean, organized, and ready for Baby. For some insane reason, I invision myself getting this done pretty quickly. (It's actually insane to think I can get it done at all.) Then, while sitting in my clean, organized house I'll play with the fun stuff like our cameras...or painting again (thanks to Santa on my side of the fam who sent me new paint supplies...anothe fundraising idea for adoption). I know the idea is crazy, but that's why I haven't really used the cameras yet. BUT...I'm very thankful for them. ;)

4. Thank You Lord for a healthy heartbeat!

We went again for another check up. Baby's heartbeat sounds healthy! Thank You Lord! Here I probably also should add a thank you to the doctor for seeing me at the 1:30 instead of my scheduled appointment time of 11:30. I also should add a "Thank You to the Lord" for getting me to the doctor's today inspite of my brain malfunctioning. But back Baby...I cherish the moment today when I got to hear the pounding of his little heart. I cherish the doctors words "Oh...sounds strong." Yes Lord, give Baby a strong heart...and one day a new spiritual heart. Give Baby a heart for You during early childhood...a heart that acts justly, loves mercy, and walks humbly before You. (Mic.6:8)

5. Thank You Lord for Names and Surprises!

In 28 days ,February 7, we find out the gender. I AM SO ANXIOUS TO KNOW. We've chosen names for boy or girl. I should say that we like the given meaning of each name. Personally the names also imply a God-given strength.

BoyJoshua Randal  (Joshua "The LORD is my salvation")...the account of Joshua in the Bible is one most often retold for courage. God commanded Him to be strong and couragious...do not be discouraged or dismayed for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua also proclaimed "As for me and my house we will serve the LORD."  (emphasis added).  Randal is Nathan's middle name and his daddy's first name. Both of these men are have good, strong, steady character. I'd be proud for our son to carry the name.

Girl: Madelyn Gray  (Madelyn "from Magdala")...Madeline was my great-grandmother's name (although it was spelled Madeline...we're changing spelling for pronunciation symplicity). She lived through the Great Depression. When she was a little girl she stayed home to work and couldn't go to school. She crawled under the house and cried because she so badly wanted to learn. She was a strong, self-taught woman who loved the Lord. I have copies of some of her beautiful poetry. One is titled in "Retrospect and hope" where she prayed that she had raised her children in the Lord. She prayed for her future decendents. I'm one of those for whom she prayed...and so is Baby. "Gray" is my sister's, mother's, grandmother's, great-grandmother's name (it was originally a last name). All of these women possess a solid relationship with Jesus Christ...and once again a God-given strength and determination to persevere. We'd be honored to name our daughter after these women.

6. Lastly for tonight, thank You Lord for my salvation.

I'm reminded everyday of my sinfulness. My attempts to do good are feeble at best. I'm so grateful for the comfort I find each night when I lie down to know that I have that blessed assurance that I'm a child of God. Thank You, Lord.

2 comments: